Place:


Irton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Irton like this:

IRTON, a township and a parish in Bootle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Irt, 3 miles ENE of Drigg r. station, and 3 NNE of Ravenglass. The parish contains also the townships of Melthwaite and Santon; and its post town is Holmrook, under Whitehaven. Acres, 5, 270. Real property, £3, 885. ...


Pop., 555. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor has belonged, since before the Conquest, to the Irton family. Irton Hall is an ancient mansion, with a square tower; and stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view. Much of the land is hilly, and part is mountainous. Granite is largely quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £96. Patron, J. Ryder, Esq. The church is a modern edifice, on the site of an ancient one; has an embattled tower; and contains a carved oak pulpit, monuments to the Irton family, and a monument to ViceAdmiral Hodgson. An ancient stone cross, about 10 feet high, is in the churchyard. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16.

Irton through time

Irton is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Irton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Irton, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4603

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Irton ".