Place:


Thornborough  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornborough like this:

THORNBOROUGH, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Buckingham; 3 miles E of Buckingham r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Buckingham. Acres, 2,530. Real property, £3,929. Pop., 694. Houses, 172. The property is much subdivided. A large barrow was opened here in 1839, and found to contain some curious Roman gold and bronze relics. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £158. Patron, Sir H. Verney, Bart. The church is neat. There are Calvinist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and a poors' allotment of 16 acres.

Thornborough through time

Thornborough is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornborough, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4581

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornborough ".