Place:


Brierley Hill  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brierley Hill like this:

BRIERLEY HILL, a town and a chapelry in Kingswinford parish, Stafford. The town stands on the river Stour, the Dudley and Stourbridge canal, and the West Midland railway, 2¼ miles NNE of Stourbridge; and has a station on the railway and a head post office.‡ It lies in a hilly tract of great mineral wealth; forms a street about a mile long; carries on industry in coal mines, clay fields, brick-works, potteries, glass-works, iron-rolling-mills, boiler-works, chain and spade factories, and malting establishments; and publishes a weekly newspaper. ...


The church at it is a cruciform structure, built in 1765, and enlarged in 1823 and 1837, with a tower which commands an extensive view; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, and Primitive Methodists. The chapelry includes the town; and was constituted in 1842. Pop., 10,755. Houses, 2,060. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Hart's Hill, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Kingswinford.

Brierley Hill through time

Brierley Hill is now part of Dudley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dudley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brierley Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brierley Hill, in Dudley and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/458

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brierley Hill ".