Place:


Tarvin  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tarvin like this:

TARVIN, a village, a township, and a parish, in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands 3 miles NE of Waverton r. station, and 5½ E of Chester; was once a market-town; and has a post-office‡ under Chester, and fairs on 20 Apriland 2 Dec.-The township includes Oscroft hamlet, and comprises 2,007 acres. ...


Real property, £5,886. Pop., 1,074. Houses, 244. The manor belongs to Mrs. Milburn.—The parish contains also ten other townships, and comprises 10,571 acres. Pop. in 1851, 3,511; in 1861, 3,319. Houses, 680. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelries of Duddon and Kelsall, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe church is chiefly later English, and has a fine tower. The p. curacy of Ashton-Hayes and the donative of Hargrave are separate benefices. Three dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school, and a national school are in T. township; and various places of worship and public schools are in the other townships. Charities, £276.

Tarvin through time

Tarvin is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tarvin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tarvin, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4576

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tarvin ".