Place:


Pitstone  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitstone like this:

PITSTONE, or Pightlesthorne, a village and a parish in the district of Berkhampstead and county of Buckingham. The village stands near Icknield-street, the boundary with Herts, the Northwestern railway, and the Grand Junction canal, 1 mile S of Ivinghoe, and 2 N by W of Tring r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Nettleden; and measures about 7 milesin length and 1 in breadth. ...


Post-town, Tring. Acres, 2, 836. Real property, £3, 692. Pop., 581. Houses, 109. The property is divided among a few. Ashridge Park is the seat of Earl Brownlow, and has been separately noticed. A monument, about a mile from it, was erected in 1832, in honour of the third Duke of Bridge-water. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £172.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is decorated and later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a fine Norman font and an elaborately carved old oak pulpit. The p. curacy of Nettleden is a separate benefice. There is a school endowment of £10 a year.

Pitstone through time

Pitstone is now part of Dacorum district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dacorum has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitstone, in Dacorum and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4569

Date accessed: 20th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitstone ".