In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Linford like this:
LINFORD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands near the river Ouse, 2 miles SW of Newport-Pagnell, and 2½ E of Wolverton r. station; is a scattered place; and has a post office under Newport-Pagnell. Acres, 1,787. Real property, £3,229. Pop., 557. Houses, 112. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Hugo Bolebec and Walter Giffard; and, with Linford House, belongs now to the Rev. W. A. Uthwatt. Linford Wood is a meet for the Whaddon Chase hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £400. * Patron, the Rev. W. A. Uthwatt. The church is good, and has a tower. There a re an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £10 a year, and six alms houses with £52. Richard Sandy or Napier, an astrologer and physician, was rector in years preceding 1634.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Linford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Milton Keynes. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Linford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Linford, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Linford".