Place:


Clifton Reynes  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton Reynes like this:

CLIFTON-REYNES, a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks; on the river Ouse, 1 mile E of Olney, and 6 NNE of Newport-Pagnell r. station. Post town, Olney, under Newport-Pagnell. Acres, 1, 444. Real property, £2, 077. Pop., 212. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the De Bocards and the Reynes. ...


Clifton was a retreat of the poet Cowper, and the residence of Lady Austen, who told him the story of John Gilpin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £360.* Patron, the Rev. H. A. Small. The church is partly early English, good and interesting; and contains monuments of the De Bocards and the Reynes. Charities, £15.

Clifton Reynes through time

Clifton Reynes is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton Reynes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton Reynes, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4553

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton Reynes ".