In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandleford like this:
SANDLEFORD-PRIORY, an extra-parochial tract in Newbury district, Berks; on the river Enbourn, 2 miles S of Newbury. Real property, £775; of which £10 are in fisheries. Pop., 49. Houses, 9. An Augustinianpriory was founded here in 1200, by Geoffrey, Earl of Perche; and was unexed, in 1480, to the Collegiatechurch of Windsor. A modern mansion, called Sandleford Priory, was the residence of Mrs. Montague, ofliterary celebrity; includes a dining-room, formed out of the chapel of the ancient priory; and is now the seat of Lord Rokeby.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sandleford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sandleford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandleford in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sandleford".