Place:


Kingston Bagpuize  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingston Bagpuize like this:

KINGSTON-BAGPUIZE, a parish in Abingdon district, Berks; between the Whitehorse vale and the river Isis, 6 miles W of Abingdon r. station. It has a postoffice, of the name of Kingston, under Abingdon. Acres, 1, 097. Real property, £2, 134. Pop., 283. Houses, 64. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor was given, by William the Conqueror, to Sir Richard Bagpuize; and, with Kingston House, belongs now to John B. Jenkins, Esq. At Newbridge, on the Isis here, the parliamentary army suffered a repulse in 1644. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £380.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1799. A free school is here for 20 boys, from four parishes; and there are charities £34.

Kingston Bagpuize through time

Kingston Bagpuize is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingston Bagpuize itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston Bagpuize, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4536

Date accessed: 25th February 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingston Bagpuize ".