Place:


Earley  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Earley like this:

EARLEIGH, Earley, or Early, a liberty and a chapelry in Sonning parish, Berks. The liberty lies near the Reading and Guildford railway, 2½ miles SE of Reading; and has a post office under Reading, and a r. station. Real property, £5, 065. Pop., 566. Houses, 118. E. Court -belongs to Viscount Sidmouth; Maiden-Earleigh, to B. Golding, Esq. The chapelry includes part of Woodley, and was constituted in 1854. Pop., 774. Houses, 154. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Oxford. Value, £175.* Patron, the Vicar of Sonning, The church was built in 1844.

Earley through time

Earley is now part of Wokingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wokingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Earley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earley, in Wokingham and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4534

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Earley ".