Place:


Handley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Handley like this:

HANDLEY, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies near an affluent of the river Dee, 2¼ miles WSW of Tattenhall r. station, and 7½ SE by S of Chester; and has a post office under Chester, and fairs on 10 March and 10 Sept. Acres, 1, 334. Real property, £2, 608. ...


Pop., 294. Houses, 62. The parish includes also the township of Golbonrn-David, and comprises 1, 967 acres. Real property, £3, 559. Pop., 364. Houses, 76. The property is subdivided. Building stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £253. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church was re-built in 1854, but retains an ancient tower. Charities, £10.

Handley through time

Handley is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Handley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Handley, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4529

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Handley ".