Place:


Disley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Disley like this:

DISLEY, or Disley-Stanley, a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the Stockport and Whaley-Bridge railway, adjacent to the Peak Forest canal, at the boundary with Derbyshire, 6¼ miles SE of Stockport. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stockport. Acres, 2, 700. ...


Real property, £8, 774; of which £180 are in quarries. Pop., 2, 265. Houses, 455. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £117. Patron, the Rector of S. The church was rebuilt in 1558; and has stained windows and other decorations. There are a national school and charities £7.

Disley through time

Disley is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Disley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Disley, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4523

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Disley ".