Place:


Chieveley  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chieveley like this:

CHEVELEY, or Chieveley, a village and a parish in Newbury district, Berks. The village stands 4½-miles N by E of Newbury; and has a post office under Newbury. The parish includes also the hamlet of Oare, and the tythings of Courage, Snelsmore, Leckhampstead, and Winterbourn. Acres, 7, 397. ...


Real property, £8, 673. Pop., 1, 923. Houses, 431. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Oare, Leckhampstead, Courage, and Winterbourn, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £1, 460.* Patron, alternately J. Dandery, Esq., and Miss Wasey. There are four churches, a church-school, three dissenting chapels, an endowed school, and charities £70.

Chieveley through time

Chieveley is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chieveley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chieveley in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4520

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chieveley ".