Place:


Mexborough  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mexborough like this:

MEXBOROUGH, a village, a township, and a parish, in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Dearne and Dove canal, near the river Don, and near the junction of the Doncaster and Sheffield and the Sheffield and Keadby railways, 5¾ miles NE by N of Rotherham; sprang suddenly into note, from an obscure condition, about the beginning of the present century; is a large and rapidly increasing place; has a post office‡ under Rotherham, a station with telegraph at the railway junction, a large hotel, and several good inns; and gives the title of Earl to the family of Saville. ...


The township comprises 1,288 acres. Real property, £5,102; of which £30 are in quarries, £80 in mines, and £126 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851,1,506; in 1861, 2,462. Houses, 525. The increase of pop. was caused mainly by proximity to the South Yorkshire I. railway company's works at Swinton.—The parish contains also the township of Denaby, and comprises 2,323 acres. Real property, £6,853. Pop. in 1851,1,652; in 1861, 2,665. Houses, 562. The property is subdivided. The manor of Mexborough belongs to A. W. Montague, Esq.; and that of Denaby to J. Fullerton, Esq. Mexborough House is the residence of Mrs. Barker. Mexborough Common has been enclosed; and it commands very fine views. There are ironworks, a famous pottery, glass works, a large sanitary pipe manufactory, an extensive brewery, boat-building establishments, several stone quarries, and some fine beds of coal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archdeacon of York. The church is ancient; was recently repaired and beautified; consists of nave, S aisle, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire; and contains monuments of the Savilles. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and United Free Methodists, a national school, and alms houses with £6 a year. The national school was built in 1866, at a cost of about £1,000; is in the early English style; and has a slated belfry and spirelet 46 feet high.

Mexborough through time

Mexborough is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mexborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mexborough, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/451

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mexborough ".