In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tempsford like this:
TEMPSFORD, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; at the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Ivel, and adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 4¾ miles SS W of St. Neots. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under St. Neots. Acres, 2,350. Real property, £3,528. Pop., 566. Houses, 131. T. Hall belongs to W. Stuart, Esq. The Danes, for some time, held the land; and were expelled by the Saxons in 921. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, not reported. Patron, the Crown. The church is chiefly later English. Charities, £11.
Tempsford is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tempsford itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tempsford in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tempsford ".