Place:


Cardington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cardington like this:

CARDINGTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ouse, adjacent to the Midland railway, 2½ miles SE of Bedford; and has a station on the railway. The parish includes also the township of East Cotts. Post Town, Bedford. ...


Acres, 5,170. Real property, £9,079. Pop., 1,419. Houses, 275. Cardington House is the seat of the Whitbreads; and was, for some years, the residence of the philanthropist Howard. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £245.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is later English. There are an Independent chapel, a handsome industrial school, a British school, alms-houses with £50 a year, and other charities £28.

Cardington through time

Cardington is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cardington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cardington, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4500

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cardington ".