Place:


Saffron Walden  Essex

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Saffron Walden like this:

Saffron Walden, mun. bor., market town, and par., Essex, 15 miles S. of Cambridge and 43¾ miles NE. of London by rail, 7410 ac., pop. 6060; P.O., T.O, 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Saffron Walden has an iron foundry, breweries, &c., and is an agricultural centre, with markets for cattle, corn, and farm produce. It is a place of great antiquity, with remains of a castle built or rebuilt shortly after the Conquest. It was made a mun. bor. in the time of Edward VI.

Saffron Walden through time

Saffron Walden is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saffron Walden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saffron Walden, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/45

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saffron Walden ".