Place:


Haynes  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haynes like this:

HAWNES, or HAYNES, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 3 miles W of Southill r. station, and 4 NE of Ampthill; and has a post-office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2,561 acres. Real property, £3,990. Pop., 932. Houses, 196. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to the Newdegates, passed to the Carterets, and belongs now to Lord John Thynne. Grange Farm belonged to Chicksands priory; and is an interesting old edifice, with a fine staircase. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500.* Patron, Sir George R. Osborn, Bart. The church is early decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; contains the vault of the Carteret family; and was restored in 1850. There is a national school.

Haynes through time

Haynes is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haynes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haynes in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4497

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haynes ".