Place:


Goldington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goldington like this:

GOLDINGTON, a village and parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands near the river Ouse and the Bedford and Cambridge railway, 1¾ mile NE by E of Bedford; and has a post office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2, 735 acres. Real property, £5, 684. Pop., 609. ...


Houses, 130. The property is subdivided. A fort was anciently at Castle hill; and a priory, at Newenham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £270.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church consists of nave and aisles, with square tower; has brasses of 1507 and 1585; and was repaired and enlarged in 1859. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £14.

Goldington through time

Goldington is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goldington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goldington, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4495

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goldington ".