Place:


Iwade  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Iwade like this:

IWADE, a village and a parish in Milton district, Kent. The village stands near the Sheerness railway, 3 miles N of Sittingbourne. The parish extends from Stangate creek to the Swale strait; consists mainly of embanked marsh; and has a quay at Funton, on Stangate creek. Post town, Milton, under Sittingbourne. ...


Acres, 3, 762; of which 390 are water. Real property, £5, 056. Pop. 182. Houses, 37. The property is subdivided. Oyster grounds are in the N. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £80. Patron, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church is ancient, and a poor building. There is a national school.

Iwade through time

Iwade is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Iwade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Iwade, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4491

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Iwade ".