Place:


Hunton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hunton like this:

HUNTON, a village and a parish in Maidstone district, Kent. The village stands near the river Beult, 3 miles E by S of Yalding r. station, and 4½ SW by S of Maidstone; was once a market town; and has a postoffice under StaplehurST. The parish comprises 2, 061 acres. Real property, £6, 535. ...


Pop. in 1851, 810; in 1861, 935. Houses, 187. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Lenhams; passed to the Giffords, the Clintons, the Wyatts, and others; and belongs now to H. Bannerman, Esq. Hunton Court, the seat of Mr. Bannerman, is a handsome mansion, in a well wooded park. Hops are largely cultivated. Two remarkable thunderstorms occurred here in 1746 and 1763. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £1, 050.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is neat and good; has a tower and spire; and contains some ancient monuments of the Fanes. There are handsome day schools, erected by Mr. Bannerman, a national school, endowed with a legacy by Bishop Porteous, and charities £30. Bishop Porteous was rector.

Hunton through time

Hunton is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hunton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hunton, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4487

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hunton ".