Place:


Fordwich  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fordwich like this:

FORDWICH, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent. The village stands on the river Stour, adjacent to Sturry r. station, 2 miles ENE of Canterbury; was known at Domesday as Forewich; shows marks of great antiquity; is a member of Sandwich cinque port, and a seat of sessions; and gives the title of Viscount to Earl Cowper. ...


The Stour was formerly tidal to this point; and Fordwich was then a port, visited by sea-borne ships, and had extensive fisheries. The trout, in its vicinity, have always been famous, and are noted by Fuller as differing, in many considerable properties, from all other trout. The parish comprises 459 acres. Real property, £1, 335. Pop., 202. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £178. Patron, Earl Cowper. The church comprises two aisles and a chancel, with a steeple; is in pretty good condition; and formerly contained a curious Saxon tomb, which was removed to Canterbury cathedral. Charities, £46.

Fordwich through time

Fordwich is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fordwich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fordwich, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4478

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fordwich ".