Place:


Chillenden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chillenden like this:

CHILLENDEN, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; 2¾ miles ENE of Adisham r. station, and 6½ W of Deal. Post town, Goodnestone, under Sandwich. Acres, 196. Pop., 127. Houses, 29. The parish gave name to a famous prior of Canterbury, who died in 1411. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £130.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church belonged to the priory of Leeds; and is a very small late. Norman structure, with E. perpendicular windows.

Chillenden through time

Chillenden is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chillenden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chillenden, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4467

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chillenden ".