Place:


Llanfaches  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfaches like this:

LLANVACHES, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; near Went wood, 3½ miles N-by E of Magor r. station, and 6½ WSW of Chepstow. Post town, New.port, Monmouth. Acres, 2,108. Real property, £2,035. Pop. in 1851,291; in 1861,235. Houses, 60. The decrease of pop. was caused parity by the demolition of huts, owing to the sale of newly enclosed lands. ...


The property is much subdivided. A castle was anciently here, but has entirely disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £194. Patron, Lord Tredegar. The church is dedicated to St. Dubricius, and is not very good. Charities, £10.

Llanfaches through time

Llanfaches is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfaches itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfaches, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4463

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfaches ".