Place:


Llanboidy  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanboidy like this:

LLANBOIDY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Narberth and county of Carmarthen. The village stands on an affluent of the river Taff, 5 miles NNE of Whitland r. station, and 9 NE of Narberth; and has a post office, under St. Clears, and a fair on 18 Sept. The parish is traversed by the Julian-way; is divided into L. ...


Lower and L. Upper; and contains the hamlet of Rigwm, and the village of Whitland. Acres, 10,666. Rated property, £5,045. Pop., 1,744. Houses, 373. The property is much subdivided. Maes Gwynne is the seat of the Powell family. Iron is found, but is not much worked. Roman silver coins were found, in the time of Camden, at Cilymaenllwyd camp. A Druidical circle, 60 feet in diameter, a cromlech, and a barrow, are at Dôl Wilym. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £136. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is ancient; and was reported, in 1859, as not good. The p. curacy of St. David is a separate benefice. Value, £66. Patron, F. Bladworth, Esq. The church is very good.—The sub-district contains also another parish and parts of two others in Carmarthenshire, one in Pembrokeshire, and one partly in Carmarthen and partly in Pembroke. Acres, 26,655. Pop., 3,635. Houses, 796.

Llanboidy through time

Llanboidy is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanboidy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanboidy in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4430

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanboidy ".