Place:


Birling  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birling like this:

BIRLING, or Byrling, a parish in Malling district, Kent; adjacent to the river Medway, 2¾ miles WSW of Snodland r. station, and 6 NW of Maidstone. It has a post office under Maidstone. Acres, 1,883. Real property, £3,277. Pop., 662. Houses, 111. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Mainmots, the Says, and the Nevilles; and belongs now to the Earl of Abergavenny. ...


Comfort, now a farmhouse, and Birling-place, now represented only by a fragment, were seats of the Nevilles. A range of chalk heights, called Birling Hills, occupies the W. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £158. Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. The church is perpendicular English, in good condition; and contains the remains, but no monuments, of some of the Nevilles.

Birling through time

Birling is now part of Tonbridge and Malling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tonbridge and Malling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birling, in Tonbridge and Malling and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4425

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birling ".