Place:


Benenden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Benenden like this:

BENENDEN, a village and a parish in Cranbrook district, Kent. The village stands 3 miles SE of Cranbrook, and 8 S of Staplehurst r. station; and has a post office under Staplehurst. It is a place of great antiquity; contains several good old houses; and presents a pleasant appearance. It once was noted for cloth manufacture; and it has a fair on 15 May. ...


The parish comprises 6,508 acres. Real property, £7,374. Pop., 1,662. Houses, 309. The property is divided among a few. Ponds and springs abound. A beacon stood near the village during the civil wars, forming part of a line of communication between Tenterden and London. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £112.* Patron, G. Hardy, Esq. The church was restored in 1862, at a cost of £6,000. There are a recent school-church, a Baptist chapel, a neat national school of 1861, an endowed school with £114 a year, and charities £60.

Benenden through time

Benenden is now part of Tunbridge Wells district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tunbridge Wells has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Benenden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Benenden, in Tunbridge Wells and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4416

Date accessed: 21st February 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Benenden ".