Place:


Little Newcastle  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Newcastle like this:

NEWCASTLE (Little), a village and a parish in Haverfordwest district, Pembroke. The village stands on the river Cleddau, 7 miles N W by N of Clarbeston-Road r. station, and 9 N by E of Haverfordwest; and has fairs on 6 May, 10 July, and 19 Dec. The parish comprises 2, 712 acres. Post-town, Letterston, under Haverfordwest. ...


Real property, £1, 493. Pop. in 1851, 433; in 1861, 354. Houses, 76. The decrease of pop.was caused by cessation of work at a slate quarry, and by emigration. There are an intermittent spring, called the Golden well, and remains of two forts. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £54. Patron, T. Morse, Esq.

Little Newcastle through time

Little Newcastle is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Newcastle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Newcastle in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4412

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Newcastle ".