Place:


Leighton  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leighton like this:

LEIGHTON, a township-chapelry in Worthin parish, Montgomery; on Offa's dyke and the river Severn, adjacent to the Chester and Llanidloes railway, under Long mountain, near the boundary with Salop, 1½ mile SSE of Welshpool. Post town, Welshpool. Acres, 1,870. Real property, £4,199. Pop. in 1851,297; in 1861,431. Houses, 83. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of labourers on a gentleman's estate. Leighton is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Trelystan or Wolston-Mynd, in the diocese of Hereford.

Leighton through time

Leighton is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leighton, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4411

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leighton ".