Place:


Musgrave  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Musgrave like this:

MUSGRAVE (Great), a village and a parish in East Ward district, Westmoreland. The village stands on the river Eden, and on the Eden Valley railway, at Musgrave r. station, 3½ miles N by W of Kirkby-Stephen; gives name to the Musgraves of Edenhall; and has a two-arched bridge. The parish comprises 4,080 acres. ...


Post-town, Brough, under Penrith. Real property, with Little Musgrave, £2, 776. Pop. of G.-M. alone, 192. Houses, 34. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir G. Musgrave, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £149.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is modern, and has a tower. There are an endowed national school, and charities £5.

Musgrave through time

Musgrave is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Musgrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Musgrave, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4394

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Musgrave ".