Place:


Ickleford  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ickleford like this:

ICKLEFORD, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands on the river Ivel, adjacent to Icknield street, the Great Northern railway, and the boundary with Beds, under Wilbury hills, 2 miles N of Hitchin; and has a post office under Hitchin. The parish comprises 1, 007 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 224. Pop., 546. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. Ickleford House is the seat of the Hon. Mrs. Ryder. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £280. * Patron, Ra1ph Lindsay, Esq. The church consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; recently underwent extensive repairs; and contains the grave of Henry Boswell, king of the gipsies. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Ickleford through time

Ickleford is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ickleford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ickleford in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4386

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ickleford ".