Place:


Casterton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Casterton like this:

CASTERTON, a township-chapelry in Kirkby-Lonsdale parish, Westmoreland; on the river Lune, adjacent to the Ingleton branch of the Northwestern railway, 1½ mile NE of Kirkby-Lonsdale. It has a post office under Burton-in-Kendal. Acres, 4,230. Real property, £3,444. Pop., 587. Houses, 61. ...


The property is divided among a few. Casterton Hall is the seat of the Wilsons. The scenery is so fine as to have been called "the pride of Lonsdale." Coal and limestone are found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, not reported.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1853, and has a tower. Schools, established by the late Rev. W. Carus Wilson, are widely known to fame.

Casterton through time

Casterton is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Casterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Casterton, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4379

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Casterton ".