Place:


Langham  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langham like this:

LANGHAM, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands 1¼ mile E of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 1¾ NW of Oakham r. station; and has a postal letter-box under Oakham. The parish comprises 3,250 acres. Real property, £5,381. Pop., 636. Houses, 146. ...


The land belongs chiefly to the Earl of Gainsborough, Lord Aveland, and E. G. Baker, Esq. Ranksborough Hill was the seat of a Roman settlement, and is now a meet for the Cottesmere hounds. There is a large brewery. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Oakham, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is early decorated English; presents interesting features; and comprises nave, aisles, and transept, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a free school, a national school,-and charities £54. Simon de Langham, archbishop of Canterbury, was a native.

Langham through time

Langham is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langham in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4370

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langham ".