Place:


Seale  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seale like this:

SEAL, a village and a parish in Farnborough district, Surrey. The village stands under a long chalk ridge, 1½mile S S E of Tongham r. station, and 4 E by N of Farnham; and has a post-office under Farnham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Tongham, and comprises 2, 967 acres. Real property, £3, 636; of which £10 are in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 508; in 1861, 669. Houses, 135. The property is subdivided. Poyle Park and Hampton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £44. Patron, the Archdeacon of Surrey. The church was mostly rebuilt in 1861. The p. curacy of Tongham is a separate benefice. There is a national school.

Seale through time

Seale is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seale, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4349

Date accessed: 21st April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seale ".