In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halkyn like this:
HALKIN, a village and a parish in Holywell district, Flintshire. The village stands under Halkin mountain, 2½ miles SW of Flint r. station, and 3¼ SE of Holywell; and has a post office under Holywell. The parish includes the townships of Hendre-Figillt, Lugyn-y-Llan and Lugyn-y-Wern. Acres, 3,140. Real property, £5,282; of which £1,897 are in mines, and £30 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,777; in 1861, 1,334. Houses, 320. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by decrease in the working of lead mines. ...
The property is divided among a few. Halkin Castle, built in 1827, is a seat of the Marquis of Westminster. Halkin mountain commands fine views; has, at its south end, an ancient British camp; and is there 1,020 feet high. The rocks abound in mineral wealth, principally lead ore, calamine, coal, limestone, and potter's clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £312.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is tolerable. The vicarage of Rhos-y-Coe is a separate benefice. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Roberts, who wrote "the History of the Cymry," was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Halkyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Halkyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halkyn in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Halkyn".