Place:


North Tawton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Tawton like this:

TAWTON (North), a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Devon. The village stands near the Yeoford and Okehampton railway, 6½ miles NE of Okehampton; was once a market-town; and has a r. station with telegraph, a post-office,‡ designated North tawton, North Devon, and three annual fairs.—The parish includes Week hamlet, and comprises 5,814 acres. ...


Real property, £7,392. Pop., 1,849. Houses, 388. The property is subdivided. There are a woollen and serge manufactory, and a copious intermitting spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £751.* Patron, the Rev. G. Hole. The church is old but good. There are three dissenting chapels, a free school, and some charities.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes, and is in Okehampton district. Acres, 24,560. Pop., 4,322. Houses, 901.-The hundred contains 20 parishes, and is called North Tawton and Winkleigh. Acres, 68,533. Pop., 12,666. Houses, 2,624.

North Tawton through time

North Tawton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Tawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Tawton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4330

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Tawton ".