Place:


Sydenham Damerel  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sydenham Damerel like this:

SYDENHAM-DAMEREL, or South Sydenham, a parish, with a village, in Tavistock district, Devon; on the river Tamar, 4¼ miles WNW of Tavistock r. station. It has a post-office under Tavistock. Acres, 1,413. Real property, £1,800. Pop. in 1851, 466; in 1861, 603. Houses, 111. The manor belonged to the Damerells, and passed to the Carpenters. S. house is the seat of J. H. Tremayne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £207.* Patron, J.Garnier, Esq. The church is ancient. There are a Bible Christian chape1, and charities £70.

Sydenham Damerel through time

Sydenham Damerel is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sydenham Damerel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sydenham Damerel in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4326

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sydenham Damerel ".