In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowford like this:
STOWFORD, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; 2½ miles NNW of Coryton r. station, and 7 ENE of Launceston. Post town, Lewdown, North Devon. Acres, 2,065. Real property, £2,283. Pop., 471. Houses, 93. Stowford, Haine, and Stone manors belong toA. Harris, Esq.; and Milford manor, to H. Bradshaw, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £241.* Patron, the Rev. J. B. Woolocombe. The church is good. Charities, £44.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stowford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stowford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowford in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stowford".