Place:


Dilwyn  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dilwyn like this:

DILWYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Weobly district, Hereford. The village bears the name of Church-Dilwyn; stands 2½ miles NNE of Weobly, and 3 SSE of Pembridge r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Dilwyn, under Leominster. The parish includes also the townships of Sollars-Dilwyn, Fawley, Luntley, Haven-with-the-Headland, and Newtown-with-Hurst. ...


Acres, 6, 067. Real property, £9, 722. Pop., 1, 069. Houses, 238. The property is much subdivided. The living. is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £381. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is mainly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with large tower and wooden spire; and was recently in disrepair. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £35.—The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 20, 552. Pop., 3, 701. Houses, 804.

Dilwyn through time

Dilwyn is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dilwyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dilwyn in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4321

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dilwyn ".