Place:


Sourton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sourton like this:

SOURTON, a parish, with a few small hamlets, in Okehampton district, Devon; 5 miles SW of Okehampton r. station. Post town, Bridestow, North Devon. Acres, 5,018. Real property, £2,889; of which £450 are in quarries. Pop., 543. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Bridestow. The church is partly old, and was partly rebuilt in 1847.

Sourton through time

Sourton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sourton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sourton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4310

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sourton ".