Place:


Shirwell  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirwell like this:

SHERWILL, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Devon. The village stands 4¼ miles NE by N of Barnstaple r. station, and has a post-office under Barnstaple. The parish comprises 4,762 acres, and is in Barnstaple district. Real property, £4,261. Pop. in 1851, 725; in 1861, 609. Houses, 123. ...


The manor and most of the land, with Youlston Park, belong to Sir. A. Chichester, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £387.* Patron, Sir A. Chichester, Bart. The church is good.-The hundred contains eleven parishes. Acres, 47,648. Pop., 4,392. Houses, 901.

Shirwell through time

Shirwell is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shirwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirwell in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4309

Date accessed: 11th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shirwell ".