Place:


Bodenham  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bodenham like this:

BODENHAM, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Leominster, Hereford. The village stands near the river Lug, 2 ½ miles E of Dinmore r. station, and 6 ½ SSE of Leominster; and it has a post office under Leominster, and was once a market-town.—The parish includes also the townships of Bowley, Bryan-Maund, Whitchurch-Maund, and the Moor. ...


Acres, 5,260. Real property, £7,463. Pop., 1,096. Houses, 231. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £686.* Patron, John Arkwright, Esq. The church is ancient and good; and has an incomplete spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £30, and other charities with £24.-The subdistrict comprises six parishes, parts of two other parishes, and a chapelry. Acres, 24,884. Pop., 4,021. Houses, 846.

Bodenham through time

Bodenham is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bodenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bodenham in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4307

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bodenham ".