Place:


Witton Gilbert  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witton Gilbert like this:

WITTON-GILBERT, a village and a parish in Chester-le-Street district, Durhamshire. The village stands near the Consett railway, 3¼ miles NW by W of Durham; took the latter part of its name from Gilbert de la Ley, the owner of the manor in the time of Bishop Pudsey; and has a post-office under Durham, and a r. ...


station. The parish includes five hamlets, and comprises 2,535 acres. Real property, £10,544; of which £4,300 are in mines, and £1,351 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 1,758; in 1861, 2,098. Houses, 421. The property is divided chiefly among four. A lepers' hospital was founded here by Gilbert de la Ley; and is now represented by only a fragment in a farmhouse. The living is a rectory, united with Kimbleworth, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £303.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D. The church was rebuilt in 1859. The vicarage of Sacristan is a separate benefice. There are several Methodist chapels, two national schools, and charities £15.

Witton Gilbert through time

Witton Gilbert is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witton Gilbert itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witton Gilbert, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4299

Date accessed: 21st February 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witton Gilbert ".