Place:


Witheridge  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witheridge like this:

WITHERIDGE, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Devon. The village stands 7 miles ENE of Lapford r. station, and 8 E of Chulmleigh; was once a borough and a market-town; and has a post-office‡ under Morchard-Bishop, North Devon, and three annual fairs.—The parish comprises 9,048 acres. ...


Real property, £6,657. Pop., 1,237. Houses, 260. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Portsmouth; and the rest of the property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £350.* Patron, the Rev. W. P. Thomas. The church is early perpendicular. There are chapels for Independents and Bible Christians, an endowed school with £21 a year, a British school, and charities £13. The antiquary Chapple was a native.—The sub-district contains 10 parishes, and is in South Molton district. Acres, 48,070. Pop., 5,449. Houses, 1,073.-The hundred contains 21 parishes. Acres, 79,797. Pop., 10,144. Houses, 2,062.

Witheridge through time

Witheridge is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witheridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witheridge in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4258

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witheridge ".