Place:


Gildersome  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gildersome like this:

GILDERSOME, a village and a township-chapelry in Batley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to a branch of the Leeds, Bradford, and Halifax railway, 5 miles SW of Leeds; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leeds. The chapelry comprises 1, 120 acres. Real property, £9, 103; of which £3, 450 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2, 126; in 1861, 2, 701. Houses, 558. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cloth-making and in fulling-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Batley. The church is ancient, but good; and has a tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyans, and an endowed school.

Gildersome through time

Gildersome is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gildersome itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gildersome, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/425

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gildersome ".