Place:


Walkhampton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walkhampton like this:

WALKHAMPTON, a parish, with part of Horrabridge village, in Tavistock district, Devon; adjacent to Horrabridge r. station, and 5 miles SE of Tavistock. Post town, Horrabridge, Devon. Acres, 10,540. Real property, £3,340. pop., 831. Houses, 143. The manor and most of the land belong to Sir M. Lopes, Bart. About 6,600 acres are waste land in Dartmoor. The Living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £125.* Patron, Sir M. Lopes, Bart. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and a free school for 40 boys and 20 girls.

Walkhampton through time

Walkhampton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walkhampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walkhampton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4249

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walkhampton ".