Place:


Zeal Monachorum  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Zeal Monachorum like this:

ZEAL-MONACHORUM, a parish, with three hamlets, in Crediton district, Devon; 2½ miles SW of Morchard-Road r. station, and 7 NW by W of Crediton. Post town, Bow, North Devon. Acres, 3,264. Real property, £3,364. Pop., 549. Houses, 117. The property is subdivided. The manor was given, by King-Canute, to Buckfast monastery; took thence the name of Monkenfield, Monkenzeal, or Zeal-Monachorum; and belongs now to J. H. Ley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £388.* Patron, the Rev. E. Cooper. There are a national school, and charities £18.

Zeal Monachorum through time

Zeal Monachorum is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Zeal Monachorum itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Zeal Monachorum in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4240

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Zeal Monachorum ".