Place:


Laysters  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laysters like this:

LAYSTERS, or LEYSTERS, a parish, with a village, in Leominster district, Herefordshire; adjacent to Worcestershire, 4½ miles SSW of Tenbury r. station, and 5 NE of Leominster. Post town, Tenbury. Acres, 1, 989. Real property, £2, 204. Pop. in 1851, 210; in 1861, 283. Houses, 51. The increase of pop. ...


arose partly from the opening of a brick yard. The property is divided among a few. A moated seat of the priors of Sheen was here. A tumulus is near the church. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £335.* Patron, Mrs. Prescott. The church is ancient, has a tower, and was restored about 1841. There are a parochial school and charities £16.

Laysters through time

Laysters is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Laysters itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laysters in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4238

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Laysters ".