Place:


Lyonshall  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lyonshall like this:

LYONSHALL, a village and a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford. The village stands 1¼ mile SE of the river Arrow, and 2¼ E of Kington r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Kington. The parish comprises 4,658 acres. Real property, £7,046. ...


Pop., 960. Houses, 223. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Marburys; passed to the Devereuxs, Sir Stephen de Ebroicis, and the Touchets; and belongs now to Lady Langdale. Moor House is a chief residence. A castle, said to have been built by William Rufus, stood at the village, and is now represented by some ivy-clad remains. Limestone for building is quarried, and bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £350. * Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, was probably connected with the castle, has a tower, contains several monumental tablets, and was recently in disrepair.

Lyonshall through time

Lyonshall is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lyonshall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lyonshall in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4235

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lyonshall ".