Place:


Pembridge  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pembridge like this:

PEMBRIDGE, a village and a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Arrow, near the Leominster and Kington railway, 7 miles W of Leominster; was formerly a market town; is nominally a borough, governed by ahigh bailiff; and has a station on the railway, and a head post-office, ‡ designated Pembridge, Herefordshire, and fairs on 13 May and 22 Nov. ...


The parish comprises 7,077 acres. Real property, £10, 797; of which £110 areon the railway . Pop. in 1851, 1, 319; in 1861, 1, 500. Houses, 306. The property is subdivided. The manorsbelonged anciently to the Mortimers; and belong now to the Rev. F. Evans and J. K. Smithies, Esq. A new mansionwas built in 1861. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £975.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is of the 13th and 14thcenturies; and a wooden bell-tower stands near it. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, endowed national schools, alms-houses for 12 persons, and some smaller charities.

Pembridge through time

Pembridge is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pembridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pembridge in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4229

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pembridge ".